How to Post on Trips

Check here to find out about and sign up for awesome climbing trips
pariesz

How to Post on Trips

Fri Feb 13, 2009 12:04 pm

Posting the right information when joining a trip is very important otherwise you might end up without transport, without the right gear, etc. posting poorly only makes the trips coordinator’s job harder than it already is.

If you are an older members you should still post correctly (even if you think the trips coordinators already have the information) as you need to be setting the example for the newer members.

Be concise and precise
If you post as tentative it will be assumed you are not going and therefore no reservations will be made for you until you confirm

Experience
What skill level you're at, normally from what you're signed off as in your skills logbook. If you don't have a skills logbook, contact the skills co-ordinator.

Gear
For the first few big trips of the semester we will help the newer members with the gear they require for the trip, though generally it is you responsibility to procure the gear you need from the quartermasters: http://www.qutcliffhangers.com/Quartermaster

Transport
If you can drive say exactly how many passengers you are prepared to take. The trips coordinators have no idea how big you car is or how much gear it can fit.

If you need a lift please provide the general area where you live so we can arrange to have someone drop by if you can't make it to Kangaroo Point.

Post ahead of time
Posting the night before to come on a trip is not appreciated and will probably be ignored. Give day trips at least a days notice and bigger trips even more time. Also trips coordinators have very short memories when between climbs on a Wednesday night so word of mouth doesn't get you a place on a trip, you should always post you intentions!

Keep checking the Forum for changes
Trips are subject to change at the last minute due to bad weather and unforeseen circumstances. These changes will be broadcast over the trips thread. The Trips-coordinators may also require more information from you throughout the process. So make sure you keep checking the thread.

Post any changes in your plans
If you have already planned to take 3 others in your car, are going to leave at a different time, can no longer come, etc. the trips coordinator needs to know ASAP

This is an example of how a trip post should look:
Name: john smith
Experience: beginner sport leader
Transport: Don't have a car, would need a lift. I live at Indooroopilly but can make it to the KP pickup
Gear Needs: Only for some trips, you should arrange your own gear.
Tent needs: Have a tent with two spare spaces - Weekend/Longer trips only
Other camping needs: Would love to borrow a sleeping mat. - Weekend/Longer trips only
First Aid Certified: I have an 'applied first aid' and will be bringing a first aid kit

This is an example of what NOT to do:
I’m Coming. can drive have a few spare seats.

For more information please look at the wiki
http://www.qutcliffhangers.com/Club_Trips

Charlie

Re: How to Post on Trips

Fri Feb 13, 2009 12:39 pm

Minor point re the tentativeness... I'd have thought an idea of confirmed numbers, as well as possible numbers, would aid in forward planning? Ie the Kaputar trip is a fair way off and I'm not certain I'll be able to make it, if there are others in the same boat as me and nobody says anything it will make the numbers look much smaller than they are likely to be. Plus if I don't say anything my fans will assume I'm not going and won't consider it themselves :P :mrgreen: (By that I mean that the trips threads serve potential trip go-ers as well, not just the trips coordinators)
I'd suggest the big thing is to be clear about intentions and capacities, if that is done then the thread should still be able to serve for the purposes of those working out whether to go, right? Ie if, when I'd questioned in the coolum thread re 'anyone want to climb Tinny both days' I'd specified that I'm at present an unknown quantity and should not be taken into account for planning purposes, but was merely investigating the matter so as to make a more informed decision regarding my attendance, it probably wouldn't have confused you at all and would still have assisted me :D

My suggestion: If someone is only tentative, just ignore them until they state otherwise - if it's too late for you to do anything about it by the time they decide otherwise, tough shit to them. I've been occasionally known to have trouble committing ahead of time, but by the same token I don't expect anyone to do the running around organising for me :)
Last edited by Charlie on Fri Feb 13, 2009 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pariesz

Re: How to Post on Trips

Fri Feb 13, 2009 12:45 pm

Good point Charlie
though from now on, those posting as tentative will be assumed as not going and as such no reservations will be made for them until they confirm.

My suggestion: If someone is only tentative, just ignore them until they state otherwise - if it's too late for you to do anything about it by the time they decide otherwise, tough shit to them. I've been occasionally known to have trouble committing ahead of time, but by the same token I don't expect anyone to do the running around organising for me :)

My thoughts exactly

Return to Climbing Trips