Possible gear use for exerciser

Anything and everything that's not climbing
exercisecoach

Possible gear use for exerciser

Sun Jun 02, 2013 11:41 am

I am looking for a device (e.g. climbing descender) that I can use in a wall/door-mounted exerciser to provide adjustable resistance for strength development
i.e. so that increasing the pull on one end of the rope would increase the friction/grip on the rope where it passes through the device - gradually slow the rope movement but NOT jam stop.

It will be like a cable pulley machine but without the need for a weight stack to vary the resistance.

There were simple forms of this adjustable resistance exerciser used by x-country skiers and swimmers around decades ago, but as I haven't been able to locate any (for a club that now uses stretch cords), I am casting about for alternatives for the club and for individual athletes.

Does anyone know of any gear that would work in this application?

Regards
EC

hotgemini

Re: Possible gear use for exerciser

Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:05 am

Do you want it to be continuously adjustable (eg. you pull on one end while someone else is exercising to make it easier/harder?), if so, a simple pipe wrap or a belay device may be an option.

If not, then something like the Kong Kisa http://www.kong.it/doc408.htm
Of the systems of government I've toyed with, I've come to realise I'm a believer in effortocracy. It gets most of the theoretical benefits of a meritocracy or technocracy, but shit actually gets done. - Adam Gibson 2013-03-01

Return to Random/Off-topic