Mt Barney bash 7/8 Sep

Anything and everything that's not climbing
choppy

Mt Barney bash 7/8 Sep

Sat Aug 18, 2012 10:18 pm

(OK it kinda is climbing but not the kind we all get off on. Plus it's not a club activity so posted in the right place I think)

I'm putting together a small group to summit Mt Barney. I recall that a few of the Cliffhangers had expressed interest but can't remember who! So here is a post to hopefully jog their memories.

As bushwalks go it's a doozey - 10 hour round trip, almost 1km vertical ascent, able to take different routes up and down (which we will - up Sout East ridge and down Peasant's). Heading down on Friday 7th in the evening and camping outside the National Park (cost associated; up to $14 but final choice of campsite TBA). Start promptly the next day so as to peak for lunch and descend before dark. I hate walking in the dark. Back in Bris Saturday late. BYO food, water, tent etc but you don't need to carry the lot just a day pack.

All y'all are welcome to post interest but I will give preference to those who had put their hands up before. Because I'm a bit rusty however you need to tell me in your post that you were one of those people. Honesty system please!

MonicaC

Re: Mt Barney bash 7/8 Sep

Thu Aug 23, 2012 7:55 pm

I would be keen for this! but i have an all day training thingo on the 8th! Let me know if you end up going again another time during the year though!

JonasA

Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:05 pm

Very spontaneous, but maybe there is another crazy person for an adventure. Since there is a weekend climbing coming up for the 7/8, I am planning to hike up Mt. Barney this weekend (Sept. 1-2).
I will be biking there from Ipswitch Saturday morning, hike up in the afternoon, stay at the summit over night, climb down and bike back the next day. Not sure if there are other crazy bikers out there, but should be a fun ride off the highway. Or if anyone would like to come along for the hike and drive down there, we could meet. Weather should be fine. Bushcamping at the summit is permitted and costs about $5. I will bring a stove. Call, text, message me if anyone is interested. +61 478 898 496

Cheers, Jonas

JonasA

Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:04 pm

Crazy trip, but good times! :)
They closed down the Mt. Barney National Park last Sunday due to wildfire. Not sure if they are going to close the road as well, but you should check on that. Not that I would personally care about this warning, but it might take a little more time if the parking lot is not accessible.
Two guys who I met on East Peak came up Logan's Ridge and we went down South-East Rigde together. That sounded like a good day trip to me and Logan's Ridge seems to be an interesting and challenging climb (however, apparently no rope needed on the way up but also not very suitable for down-climbing)!

Have fun!

Return to Random/Off-topic