New shoes or resole?

Just starting out, ticked something huge, or just found somewhere you need to climb
NathanF

New shoes or resole?

Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:24 pm

A few weeks ago I noticed that I have managed to wear a hole through the toe of one of my climbing shoes and that they are both getting a bit thin in other parts. What would be the pros and cons of getting a new pair of shoes vs getting my existing pair resoled?

My current shoes are Red Chili Spirit VCR IZs and cost around $120 (compliments of a gear night - sticker says $190). Other than the fact that they have worn through (they are only a year and a half old and I haven't done much climbing in that time) I am pretty happy with them (they are reasonably tight, but not painful); however, they are the only pair I've owned so I can't really compare them against something else.

How much could I expect to pay for a resole?
Could you recommend a good 'resoler'?
How long would it take to resole?
Any tips for purchasing new shoes (go somewhere that has something you can climb on, anything else?)?
Anything else?

Will

Re: New shoes or resole?

Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:04 pm

expect to pay up to about $80 if you need a toe cap (which you will with a hole)

either go to scottydog (stanthorpe) or big johns (bluies) you can send to either of these through K2 (or pinnacle i believe)

depending on where you send them and how busy they are, expect 2-3 week turnaround

purchasing, i would try a few different brands (evolv, la sportiva, red chili, etc.)

just make sure the shoe is something that you like the feel of, and that's not too loose.

decide whether you want velcro or laces, or even slippers etc.

tbh for shoes that only cost $120 I wouldn't get a resole if you could replace them for $120.

a year and a half is a long time for any shoes, even without climbing the rubber deteriorates.

just go around and try some at K2 and Pinnacle and see what you like.

frapple666

Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:38 pm

RyanK

Sat Aug 31, 2013 5:51 pm

I had the same situation as you Nathan, spirits as my first real climbing shoe and wore a hole in them, at the time i loved the shoes but now owning a pair of la sportiva's i would never go back. my advice go into k2 buy a pair of lace miuras at like $175(210RRP minus 15% cliffhangers discount). they are such a great all round shoe which will get you up almost anything. right now i own a pair of red chilli matadors which are my super aggressive shoe and a pair of miuras for everythign else, i find this system works great, if you can justify buying 2 different pairs of shoes.
Ryan King,
President - Grade 19 club.

Ria

Mon Sep 02, 2013 7:57 am

Hey Nathan (and anyone else interested in resoles),

I highly recommend the Arapiles Mountain Shop for resoles. I've always had awesome service from these guys (Dr Phil) and they do amazing work. Details on prices etc can be found here. I wouldn't send my shoes anywhere else for a resole. Over the years we've seen mixed results from other suppliers, but always top quality work from Arapiles.

Ria

TJ

Mon Sep 02, 2013 10:54 am

I've had mine resoled at Arapiles Mountain Shop on Ria's recommendation, and the quality of both the service and the work were very high.

Croskey_08

Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:00 pm

Have not purchase any snow boots yet but will have a pair soon. Have recently joined gym and using Carbon38 tank tops for it. Have purchased few new tops last week and very happy with its soft stuff. Will also recommend my friend.

Return to Climbing