Introduce yourself!

Just starting out, ticked something huge, or just found somewhere you need to climb
hotgemini

Introduce yourself!

Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:56 am

So, I'm trying my best to recognise a lot of the faces around the place so I thought an introductions thread might be a good idea.

Name:
Favourite Climbing Memory:
Climbing Goals:
Tell us a bit about yourself:
A picture of yourself:

I'd encourage people to add any extra fields as they go, I'll do my best to add them back into this post and encourage people to edit their posts.
Of the systems of government I've toyed with, I've come to realise I'm a believer in effortocracy. It gets most of the theoretical benefits of a meritocracy or technocracy, but shit actually gets done. - Adam Gibson 2013-03-01

hotgemini

Re: Introduce yourself!

Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:01 am

Name: Adam Gibson
Occupation/Course/Both: B.Eng (Mech) with a major in automotive engineering from QUT, work as a heavy vehicle engineer for a consultancy.
Favourite Climbing Memory: Tough call, probably climbing west face of the mirrorball as a sunset climb at bluies... 05? 06? one or the other.
Climbing Goals: To have a great time with great people in great places as often as possible. Get back to climbing mid-20s
Tell us a bit about yourself: (This is harder to write than you'd think...) I'm loud, opinionated, out-spoken and extroverted and tend to be very polarising, but also always happy to lend a hand.
A picture of yourself:
Of the systems of government I've toyed with, I've come to realise I'm a believer in effortocracy. It gets most of the theoretical benefits of a meritocracy or technocracy, but shit actually gets done. - Adam Gibson 2013-03-01

RyanK

Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:39 am

Hey Folks
Name: Ryan King
Course: Currently 3rd avionics engineering
Climbing Memory: I guess most involve multi pitching, firstly Bunny Buckets and Whymper at bluies with regis were awesome, then the epic on tibro with Mon, Nigel and d was also a good adventure.
Climbing Goals: To improve my trad climbing so I can climb harder trad routes, ideally I would like to smash eternity crack this bluies
About me: I guess I'm a pretty active person, asides from climbing i used to surf a fair bit and am now getting pretty involved in slacklining. I pretty relaxed about most things and thats what I love about the vibe the QUT cliffhangers community has about it.
And here's the pic:
406477_10151178185765377_779405376_22413680_1072729233_n.jpg
406477_10151178185765377_779405376_22413680_1072729233_n.jpg (90.83 KiB) Viewed 9540 times
Ryan King,
President - Grade 19 club.

Aaron

Facebook Profile: http://www.facebook.com/aaron.dewaal

Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:13 pm

Name: Aaron de Waal
Job: At the QLD law Society looking after law society house on Ann st
Climbing memory: would have to be the multipitch days in Bluies.
Climbing goals: for myself I would like to get signed off as trad leader. My climbing goals for the club are to pass on as many skills to new members. Make climbing more accessible for all*
About me: A kiwi who loves photography and climbing. I like nothing more then heading over to KP and climbing after a day of work. Nothing clears the mind like lead climbing, just you, the rock and how do I reach that next hold?

I'll post a pic later, I'm in a coffee shop ATM away from my desktop
Trip Coordinators reserve the right to leave club members behind at the crag

bucket

Thu Oct 11, 2012 1:12 pm

Name: Jena Buchan
Age: 27 (but I still get carded and I'm embracing that as long as I can...)
Occupation/Course/Both: PhD student just cause it was the easist way back into Australia for a few years... and yoga/spin/gym instructor, I'll teach you how to do pull-ups ;)
Favourite Climbing Memory: every sunset I see from the top of a climb at KP...and doing the 'guidebook cover' climb (or at least the first few draws) at Tonsai, Thailand
Climbing Goals: at the moment, stop getting hurt so I can climb! but really just use it to zen out, meet great folks, and see some amazing parts of this world...
Tell us a bit about yourself: bit of a treehugging veggo wanna-be Aussie American (I'll be taking marriage proposals if needed in 2 1/2 years if I can't get a job sponsor...) who loves outdoor sports and making people smile...and a good dance
A picture of yourself: I don't know how to dooo this, anyone have one they can post of me? (granted, just look for the crazy curly hair and US accent, that'd be me...and one of three dressed up when we do theme climbs...)

Charl

Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:41 pm

Name: Shawl (chuck) Cilliers
Occupation/Course/Both: I'm in my fourth year mechanical engineering at QUT.
Favourite Climbing Memory: Bluies 2012
Climbing Goals: Tick crazy horny at coolum
Tell us a bit about yourself:I am currently one of the club quartermasters. I also get a little too excited by new climbing gear so i buy stuff i don't need. And finally i watch unhealthy amounts of climbing videos that make me feel inferior.

A picture of yourself:
IMG_20120826_124733.jpg
IMG_20120826_124733.jpg (2.25 MiB) Viewed 9487 times

GregE

Facebook Profile: http://www.facebook.com/greg.emmett.5

Fri Oct 12, 2012 1:16 pm

Name: Greg Emmett
Occupation/Course/Both: Studying Property Economics at QUT.
Favourite Climbing Memory: Multi-pitching at Blue Mountains, and the whole of the Bluies trip!
Climbing Goals: Tick Chevy and Crazy in 2013.
Tell us a bit about yourself: Pretty new to climbing, started around August 2012. But i'm now always keen to climb, especially if it's at Coolum.
A picture of yourself: Don't have a climbing related picture of me yet, will get one soon!
Last edited by GregE on Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Brencoulter

Fri Oct 12, 2012 2:13 pm

Name: Brendan Coulter
Occupation/Course: 1st year engineering, probably going into civil. Currently I work an underpaid job at IGA to pull in a few bucks
Favourite Climbing Memory: Would have to just be the first couple of years of my climbing, about 6-7 years ago now, it's just a blurred, but great memory.
Climbing Goals: I'd like to learn all the skills of outdoor and become competent at leading... and actually have my own gear would be great too
About me: Well, I'm a bit of a smartass with a screwed up sense of humour. I began climbing late grade 5, and climbed indoors with weekly coaching sessions, and the social series competitions. Competed in nationals, coming 6th for my age group, but then coaching stopped, and not long after the competitions stopped, and I stopped. I'm now back into things and don't know how I went so long without climbing. I love rockclimbing, and it's just an amazing feeling being able to forget everything and just climb the wall. I'm a trumpet player, and music and climbing are constantly fighting it out for my attention.
Picture: To be honest, I really don't have any decent pictures of me, so if anyone wants to take a photo while I'm on the cliff and send it to me, go ahead
QUT cliffhangers: Where you trust your life with someone you just met 15 minutes ago

Lachlan

Sat Oct 13, 2012 3:02 pm

Name: Lachlan Walker
Course: 4th year, Bachelor Engineering (civil) and Business (economics).
Favourite Climbing Memory: don’t really have one yet since I’ve only been climbing for a short period of time.
Climbing Goals: My main aim is to have fun but I also want to challenge myself and develop better climbing techniques.
Tell us a bit about yourself: I like to party... I enjoy physical activities, going to the beach stuff like that. If you want to know more come and chat to me at KP, I’m there most Mondays and Wednesdays.

Nathan

Sat Oct 13, 2012 9:47 pm

Name: Nathan Jorgensen

Occupation/Course: 3rd Year Paramedic/Nursing Dual

Favourite Climbing Memory: Every trip I get to go on! But seriously now... It would have to be the trip to the “Secret Cave” last weekend (although technically not climbing). After this ridiculously insanely horrible 2-hour trek through 30 degree heat we were greeted by an pristine and untouched canyon filled with absails through the middle of waterfalls, million year old waterslides carved into the rock, and plunge-pools into the frigid water. It was the most amazing place I have ever been to! ...and then we had to walk out again :(

Climbing Goals: Now that I’m beginning to become comfortable in leading sport climbs, I am really keen to start learning about the world of trad climbing, proper climbing techniques, and the placement of gear. (Hello, any trad leaders out there?)

Tell us a bit about yourself: I started climbing a year ago when I joined the club, and have enjoyed every single moment of it! I never would have believed you if you had of told me were I would be today, from getting to the top of my first climb at KP, to taking my first “whipper” on a lead climb... Its all been extraordinary.

But who am I? Im a 20 year old undergrad who crams as much action and adventure into everyday as possible. I love what I study, and getting outdoors. I also meeting new people and helping out wherever I can, from teaching new members how to tie in and send their first climb, to dragging you all out to the epic club trips :)

A picture of yourself:
Urbenville.jpg
Urbenville.jpg (146.35 KiB) Viewed 9383 times

Dave.C

Sun Oct 14, 2012 11:31 am

Name: David the 4th of the Callumclan of Auchterrarder Perthshire.

Occupation/Course: Final 6 months of construction management working full time for a pre cast structural concrete manufacturing company as a quality assurance manager.

Favourite Climbing Memory: Its a tough call between watching Genevive drop the rope while seconding at Brooyar, watching Pedo downclimb from attempts at leading bunny buckets. Or watching the diry looks of the people up top waiting after we took 7 hours and 45 minutes to finish the climb as opposed to the usual 5? or taking a 4m whipper off of the great devoid to end up 1.5m off the ground equal with my belayer? oh no wait! its watching rachel express her love for climbing, that is one of my favourite memories. Sitting at the base of KP laughing hysterically while up top a woman is screaming and crying like shes giving birth while concerned onlookers ask if she is alright hahah.

Climbing Goals: I am happy to continue to climb anything from 10s to 25+ I dont care. Ill whinge allot about the higher grades, I just want to keep climbing on till im old and grey and my hips and bowels dont work anymore.

Tell us a bit about yourself: I started climbing 2.5 years ago becuase my life was too fluffy. Not enough blood sweat or tears and that is what the cliffhangers are all about, and beer... definitely about beer. Im the kind of dude that will whinge the whole time I'm doing a climb but then be super psyched when I make it to the top or after I take a huge whipper.

I dedicate this section to advice from Dave.
Daves no 1 advice- go to bluies. It will blast your f'king mind! Its the most chilled, amped, crazy best time you will have. As one person puts it, you couldnt hang out in potentially life threatening situations with a nicer bunch of people.

No 2 advice- always follow rule number one. Even though im not going this year due to work and going on an overseas holiday around the same time, do as I say not as I do.

No 3 advice- never talk about fight club

No 4 advice- Keep coming back, you will go through times where you dont feel like climbing, you know what will fix this? climbing. youll get back on the wall and punch yourself for forgetting how fun it is.

No 5 advice- forget the grade, just jump on and go for it. Sure, check out the route, bolts etc, but just look at it and if it looks fun go nuts, some of my favourite climbs I've never even touched the anchors on.

No 6 advice - Never listen to my advice

No 7 advice - Invest in an animal costume

A picture of yourself:
395100_2560461845467_1214825569_n.jpg
395100_2560461845467_1214825569_n.jpg (158.42 KiB) Viewed 9371 times
Rock Climbing: You couldnt hang out in potentially life threatening situations with a nicer bunch of people.

MonicaC

Sun Oct 14, 2012 11:54 am

Hello!
Name: Monica, Mono, Mon

Occupation: Im a psychology student at QUT, basically in my 1st year

Favourite climbing memory: I think so far going to Bluies last year was my favourite climbing trip for all the fun! However most memorable for all the wrong reasons would be attempting a climb called "Wet Feet" at my first ever day at Bluies, which is a climb with a river underneath and discovering it should really be called "Wet Lower Half of Your Body" ahh that was fun. And also this year being stuck on a ledge at Mt Tibro for like 4 or so hours, that was a good day too..

Climbing Goals: I just want to be able to climb strong and well! Maybe keep up with some of the guys in the club, start leading and pushing myself and not asking "what grade is it?" but just being able to give anything a solid go.

About me: Weeeeeeeeell I joined the club last year, so it will soon be my 2 year anniversary, awww (why am i not a better climber!!??). I'm originally from Tassie and joined the club in search of friends and adventure! I'm generally pretty quiet and shy though pretty friendly. This however does not apply if I'm trying a hard climb and struggling as I will turn into quite a foul mouth and yell and scream my way up the climb, so apologies in advance if you ever witness this. I love being outside and being active, besides rock climbing I love soccer and going for runs and have been attempting a little bit of slacklining too. So yeah not much about me really, I just want life to be an adventure and to always have a go and to have no regrets :)

Picture of me: I dont know how to do this but I am short, with black hair, olive skin and brown eyes haha im sure that description is helpful :)

MichaelH

Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:35 am

I have one of you Monica <3

I suppose I'll have to do one of these too

Name: Michael Hirning

Favourite climbing memory: Hard to say, oh so many. Every Bluies trip (maybe '10 was the best where I stretched it out to four and half weeks of climbing), and maybe this year sending Wholly Calamity at Coolum, which I had been slightly obsessed over for just over one year before I could tick it.

Tell us a bit about yourself: Been climbing for about four and a half years, I began just as a way to meet people, do something physical outdoors and have fun. I try to remind myself of that when I'm in pain, annoyed, frustrated or scared for my life! All of which probably makes up about 95% of my climbing experiences. These days I don't find much time to get to kp during the week, but I live for climbing hard on the weekend.

Climbing Goals: When I started I never really had one except to improve, I seconded for a long time and had no interest in leading, until I became better than most leaders were willing to lead, and so starting leading myself. I really just wanted to climb better so I could have more cool routes available to climb, I guess the same truth still holds now, but in doing so I am a little grade obsessed. Now my goal is to climb my age, which is a little cryptic seeing as didn't tell you what it was ;)

Heres a rare photo of me climbing slab :o (in Malaysia, in which you actually see my face)

ps If you go to Bluies, which you should be (we won't like you anymore if you don't go) get used to seeing this crag. Time to start training :D
A ninja probably would just dyno past all those crappy holds you used

MonicaC

Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:11 pm

haha why thank you Michael! I'm glad you picked a photo where I look tough with my taped fingers! - Everyone come to Blueies and you too can look tough with taped up fingers!

MichelleY

Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:13 pm

Name: Michelle Yap
Occupation/Course : Nurse/ Nursing

Favourite Climbing Memory: um, so far i think Brooyar during Easter (2012) was the best, but again having a seconder that walks away from my 3rd ever lead climb in KP for the ice cream truck was pretty intense. Also spending 7 hours on zeitgeist and having steven pull rocks off the wall trying not to hit me and ingrid was horrifying.

Climbing Goals: Be a responsible sport leader, climb heaps and still have shinny gear. Have proper climbing techniques and be able to do a 26 before turning 26.

About myself: I was born in Malaysia and moved to brisbane at 2009. I join the club at march 2012 and did my first ever climb at tinbi with runners. I am an undergrad student doing my 2nd year of nursing in QUT and i am not as boring as i sound here if you get to know me

JesseB

Sat Oct 20, 2012 3:33 pm

Name: Jesse Brown
Occupation/Course/Both: Studying, Bachelor of Applied Science(Geoscience) so I love the rock.
Favourite Climbing Memory: Probably have to be my first lead, "Groovetube" Krabi
Climbing Goals: I'd like to conquer Everest one day
Tell us a bit about yourself: Moved to Brisbane in 2007, did a lot of work for the ATO, decided there was more to life and started my study. I'm a keen climber but don't get much time unfortunately, I like camping and photography.

TJ

Sun Oct 21, 2012 3:40 pm

Name: TJ
Course: Architecture
Favourite Climbing Memory: Leading bunny buckets in the Bluies with Nick back in 09, and deep water soloing in Thailand last July.
Climbing Goals: Super keen for some multipitch goodness while I'm in the Bluies, and I'd like to get back to leading my age before my next birthday.
Tell us a bit about yourself: Will give anything a try, and up for a bit of just about anything in the outdoors - mountain biking, slacklining, canyoning, sailing, kayaking, trail running, snowboarding. I'd like to get more into adventure racing and rogaining, and spend a bit more time in the pool over the holidays.
A picture of yourself:

grant

Sun Oct 21, 2012 10:52 pm

Name: Grant Huntley
Occupation/Course/Both: Bach of Business (finance major)
Favourite Climbing Memory: haven't done too much climbing .. but how i got interested was visiting relies in the blue mountains.. they had an experienced climber friend and i got an awesome introductions to rock climbing!!
Climbing Goals: get down to the cliffs weekly and then get to some weekend trips! climb climb climb. i will be there in 8 days time hopefully.
Tell us a bit about yourself: wanting to get into climbing as it's something a little bit different... have previously done martial arts..most currently muay thai which i plan to get back into after a 3 month break due to lack of time....
A picture of yourself: and here i am... on an elephant of course! haha :D - i had to climb up there so it's counts.. right??

PJ

Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:31 pm

Name: Peter Jardine
Occupation/Course: IT Professional, Telstra. / Masters of Information Technology (QUT)
Favourite Climbing Memory: Hard to pick 1, so here's a few: Easter Brooyar, First time up Sweet Dreams (Bluies), Leading Sweet Dreams (apart from a couple of TRAD pieces), Leading Schwing & finally getting the first pitch clean, Leading the majority of Bunny Buckets Buttress, Bluies houses, and so many more ....
Tell us a bit about yourself: I'm the crazy guy on a bicycle - well, the craziest one in the club anyway! I've ridden self supported with a partner for 5.5 weeks around the South Island of NZ, ridden from Broome to Perth (on a supported ride - 3000+km in 30 days), ridden on my own from Sydney to Brisbane (carrying camping gear, cooking gear, food & clothes on the bike), and many more. Other things I enjoy (but don't get to do enough of!) include sailing, kayaking, and skating. I also try to run regularly, though that too has been lacking recently.
Climbing goals: Climb more & learn to climb TRAD - just gotta get away from work more! Learn new climbing skills & techniques - including rescue skills. Help others learn the things I've learned.
A picture of myself:
IMGP0303PJs.jpg
Leading in the Bluies!
IMGP0303PJs.jpg (91.19 KiB) Viewed 9123 times

choppy

Tue Oct 23, 2012 7:57 pm

¡Hola gringos!

• "Choppy" Tom Kaye.
• Older than Ninja but not as old as Adam. I think. 28.
• Architecture. Graduated a few years back, now I'm living the dream :)
• Rock memory: Pushing my grade with onsights in the rain, Jimmy Cliffs (Bluies '10). Can I get a whoop whoop?
• Rock goal: Confidence under roofs. I know, just work at it... Oh and a Thailand trip is high on the list.
• Who, me? Outgoing but not extroverted. Adventurous but not impulsive. Decided but not preachy, and always on for a 'robust discussion' (lover not a fighter har har). I don't climb as much as I'd like but if I don't make trips it's because I'm busy getting cultural, or knowledgable, or pissed. Or all three!
• You can see me at the cliffs no trubs. Instead, for your enjoyment, Annapurnavision:

IMGP3194r.JPG
IMGP3194r.JPG (326.56 KiB) Viewed 9095 times

Next
Return to Climbing