Trips and Events Log

Social events, parties, get togethers and shindigs are all in here!
Brencoulter

Re: Trips and Events Log 2013

Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:57 am

Friday Morning KP - 02/08/2013

Attendees - 3
Duration - 2 Hours

Just a couple of lead climbs with Noddy and Moin on Friday morning. Only did two easy ones: DA and That Boy Needs Therapy.

Monday Morning KP - 05/08/2013

Attendees - 3
Duration - 6 Hours

Got a few solid climbs in with Abigyat and Liam. Abigyat did his first lead climb, and the crazy son-of-a-bitch skipped the last bolt... Since I lead it after him, it forced me to run it out as well!!! Did quite a few climbs, with me finally getting a tick on Pink Beret, and finished up on Pterodactyl
QUT cliffhangers: Where you trust your life with someone you just met 15 minutes ago

TJ

Sun Aug 11, 2013 1:00 am

KP Climbing Sesh 10/08
Attendees: 2
Duration: 3hrs
I met up with Choppy after dragonboat training to get a few climbs in. Led Wind in the Willows (w/ fun top out!), Tiger's Tail, and Arrow. It was bloody hot, probably should have started later in the day.
In other news, Choppy has a pool which he'll be inviting us all over to enjoy soon. Cannonball!

TJ

Sun Aug 11, 2013 1:09 am

Dragonboat Training Session 1
Attendees: 14
Duration: 2hrs
The fearsome QUT Cliffhangers Dragonboat Crew had our first training session at the home grounds of the Te Waka Dragons Club on Breakfast Creek. We all donned our spiffy new crew shirts, which intimidated the hell out of the other teams, and Rhys strategically distracted them with his stripy tights. With the colourful Lorna as our sweep, we crushed all competition in our first practice race, and had a sausage sizzle for lunch afterwards.
Looking forward to the next session already!

RyanK

Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:45 pm

Frog photo shot and an bloddy awesome day 12/08
Duration: 12hrs
Attendees: 5
Got a line set on Devils Dihedral, Rickety Kate and Gladiator for some sick shots. Some good times and quotes to remember. Had 2 casualties, my phone and Jason's jumper, the later from the rain of rocks sent down by a scrambling chuck. Trying to think of the quotes but can't recall them, but I know they were good..........
Ryan King,
President - Grade 19 club.

hotgemini

Sat Aug 17, 2013 3:11 pm

KP friday evening climbing and bbq
Attendees: 15
Duration: 4.5 hours
A really excellent night spent cranking out some climbs at Kangaroo Point, really good numbers for something organised on pretty short numbers, tick of the night has to be Amanda making Wedding Crashers look mega smooth and easy. Credit also for Macca for torturing himself all the way to teh anchors of idiotwind on second.

Really great vibe cranking out metres with a great crew followed by a BBQ and some cold ones.
Of the systems of government I've toyed with, I've come to realise I'm a believer in effortocracy. It gets most of the theoretical benefits of a meritocracy or technocracy, but shit actually gets done. - Adam Gibson 2013-03-01

RyanK

Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:55 am

Saturday Trip up to summit caves 19/08
Duration: 12hrs
Attendees: 3
Nice day up at summit caves, climbing was nice and the location is perfect, that being said it might be a while before I'm back there
Ryan King,

RyanK

Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:01 am

Good night at KP 19/09 with 7 ropes set around Tiger Eye.
Attendees: 25
Duration: 5 hrs
Also had some folks off on mobs and olos, I think the guys doing the rebolting work on mobs had more fun :lol:
Ryan King,

TJ

Thu Aug 29, 2013 12:09 pm

Dragonboat Training Session 2 - Sunday 25 August
Attendees: 14
Duration: 2hrs
We had our second training session on sunday, with Geoff and Jake taking us aside for some special attention. Smashed out our first practice race, and even after giving the other crews a head start still finished clear by more than a boat length in our second. Last training official training is this saturday, and by all accounts we're currently the team to beat.

TJ

Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:01 pm

KP Monday Night Climbing
Week 6 26/08

Attendees: 35
Duration: 5 hrs
Set ten ropes to the left of the rail, from Chubba Chips Mods onwards. A big turnout of 28 making it to curry.

hotgemini

Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:06 pm

KP Friday 23/08/12

Attendees: 13
Duration: 4 hours
Another strong turnout for friday evening climbing, credit to danny and rhys for ticking the iconic Idiotwind (21), credit also to Spitz for making everything she touched look super-smooth and a shout-out to brendan for his impressive efforts on the balancy and challenging Hanger wall arete.
Of the systems of government I've toyed with, I've come to realise I'm a believer in effortocracy. It gets most of the theoretical benefits of a meritocracy or technocracy, but shit actually gets done. - Adam Gibson 2013-03-01

RyanK

Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:28 pm

KP Monday 02/09
Attendees: 30
Duration: 5hrs
Massive turn out, thanks to all those there at setup. Set a solid 12 ropes around LPSW and CCM a great night with an awesome turn out at curry as well
Ryan King,

RyanK

Sat Sep 14, 2013 8:51 pm

Nice afternoon climbing at Kp with Rhys and Maca. Warmed up on TBNT then Maca and Rhys sent Pterodactyl and we finished on Kiwi with Rhys having the balls to do the first bolt but couldn't finish the climb after some rough whippers. I finished it off pretty happy that the first had already been clipped. Finished off on a mock multi at Nursery cliffs seeing as Tibro was a no goer.

Attendees: 3
Duration: 4hrs
Ryan King,

GregE

Facebook Profile: http://www.facebook.com/greg.emmett.5

Sun Sep 22, 2013 3:08 pm

Date: Saturday 21st of September
Duration: 12 Hours
Participants: Shawl, Steve and Myself
Description: Mt. Maroon

About 115 km south of Brisbane, slightly further down from Mt. French, is Mt. Maroon. A trad climbing mecca, with countless single and multi-pitch trad routes to test your trad climbing abilities on. After a call from Shawl the night before, about the possibility of going down to Maroon with Steve Cox and himself for a look around and some adventure I was sold, and so I packed my gear (which consists of very little, must go to K2 immediately) and attempted to get some sleep before an early wake up of 5 am.

So bright and early the next morning we made our way towards ipswich and then onto the Ipswich-Boonah highway to take us south towards Barney national park. Arriving at Mt. Maroon Steve and Shawl racked up and we set off up the main trail headed towards the summit. After about 15 - 20 minutes of hiking the side trail leading off to the crag we had decided to check out, The Viewpoint Crag, was found marked by two small piles of stones on a large boulder and then progressive piles as you continue down the trail.

IMAG0830.png
IMAG0830.png (143.87 KiB) Viewed 13298 times

After a long time of walking back and forth along the base of the Viewpoint Crag attempting to identify which climb was which, and if we were even in the right place, we finally found the four pitch 60m trad climb Steve was interested in called Mettiste. Now you'll probably be thinking hang on why is a 60m climb on a 65m rope four pitches and not two, but trust me you would have to have two circular objects in a lower region of your body of considerable size to do it in two pitches. So we threw our gear on, flaked the rope and got ready to start the climb.

Setting up an anchor for me to belay from, as the belay point even at the beginning is quite steep, Steve lead the first pitch, a solid graded 15 of about 20m, up a terrific flake with some good gear placements and fun moves. Shawl led the next pitch, an interesting 10m 14 with a fairly committing move on trad and a lot of grass and bushes, but managed to get a few solid placements before the move and ended up nailing it.

Squeezing all three of us onto the tiny belay point in between two trees for the third pitch, Shawl led the third 10m 12 pitch up a good crack with face holds as well for the less experienced crack climbers of us (me). The 1 and 2 size Cams appeared to be the best throughout the climb and it would be advantageous for anyone looking to climb Mettiste to have as many of each as possible.

IMAG0899_1.png
IMAG0899_1.png (144.82 KiB) Viewed 13298 times

Steve got ready to lead the fourth and last pitch a 20m 15 graded climb (quite hard for the grade though) had a few different ways it seemed possible to head up, all of which were reasonably exposed with absolutely no gear placements (unless you had one of the massive off width cams) and would of been on anchors that consisted of two cams a considerable way down. After a close to an hour making attempts at it in the hot sun we decided to bail back down the climb using some less than desirable methods but made safe by Steve and Shawl. Myself and Shawl rapped down to the 3rd pitches belay tree (a large sturdy one good for rapping off) using a trad anchor consisting of seven well-placed cams. Steve then used a jutting out piece of cliff along with the tree we had abseiled down to, to belay himself down to the bottom of the cliff, after which Shawl and I set up a simple abseiling system using the tree to take us down to the bottom.

All in all it was a great day with great views and all the promised adventure I was hoping for and it ended with a few well earned beers at the nearest pub on the way back. Thanks Steve and Shawl for showing me the ropes on my first real trad adventure!

IMAG0915_1.png
IMAG0915_1.png (113.35 KiB) Viewed 13298 times

RyanK

Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:21 pm

Fuck yeah guys. Bring back the TRADVENTURE! 8-)

We had a pretty different style of day cranking at coolum. Great show up with plenty of fresh noobs ready to be broken. I personally was just there for morning working on Screaming Insanity (26) getting pretty motivated to get it upon realizing it'd be the hardest send made by a president (pending confirmation) but I've still got a fair bit of work to do and not long left....

Nay nay was on his project Crazy Horny (25) which is great progress seeing as he was projecting Old Salt (18) at Bluies juts last year. Will and Jason still working their projects Separation Anxiety (28?) and 3 Men and a Ladder (26) respectively. The noobs had a rude awakening with attempts on Screaming and Crazy. C-man had a pretty phenomenal effort managing to nailed he double knee bar rest and get the last bolt. Steph shot some awesome pics, go check them out of fb.

A great day all around and good to see the coolum crew being revived and back in action!
Ryan King,

RyanK

Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:44 am

Awesome climbing beach and brooyar trip: 2/10 - 6/10

A ripper of a trip up to my family house on the sunny coast. Surf wasn't pumping which was a bummer but we still got the boards out and had a wicked game of beach frisbee. Some good food and beers were had on the deck after a solid day cranking at coolum on the Thursday. We kicked onto Brooyar Friday arvo and did eagles nest and the newer Hungry Jacks crag on the Saturday. Great brooyar trip as always, good to see the UQ guys there as well with a turn out bigger than ours!
Ryan King,

RyanK

Tue Oct 22, 2013 3:47 pm

Casual mid week morning multi pitching.
Brendan and I headed up Aphelion (4 pitch route on Celestial Wall) getting on the rock at 6:30 to beat the heat. Brendan rocked out pitches 1 and 4 (16,22) while I did the middle two pitched (21,22) I took a fall on the 22 and needed a rest to get through the pumpy-ness.
Ryan King,

David

Facebook Profile: https://www.facebook.com/dcook33

Sun Nov 03, 2013 12:38 am

First time posting here, weow. Definitely interesting reading through some of these adventures.

Slider Thu 31/10/13
Duration: 8 hours
Attendees: 5

Headed up to tibro's lower slider for a bit of a change to KP. Rhys and myself took a wrong turn on the approach and ended up walking up, around, back around, down then back up again for a whole hour until we met up with Gustav, his gf Emmy and Callum. While in low spirits, we would not be broken and the day got better as it wore on. Would have loved to continue to upper slider but didn't feel comfortable leading in case we had to bail on something harder. Some solid leading done by Gustav and Rhys regardless. I returned to Something about Sandy (19) that I had struggled with only two weeks previous. This time ticked it without any issue, progress!! Rhys and I also jumped up Pigsy (21) TR which had some cool moves that we're keen to lead next trip! Psyched!
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Brencoulter

Tue Nov 12, 2013 2:51 am

Mt Tibrogargan Multipitch
On Sunday the 10th of November Gustav, Callum, Woodie, Dougie Bear, and myself hit up the glasshouse mountains to get some big metres in. It was the first time multi pitching for Woodie, Dougal, and I believe Callum as well.

After meeting at the carpark and racking up, we split up, Gustav and Callum heading for Line of Credit, whilst I took Dougal and Dani up Troposphere. After waiting a good half hour for another couple of climbers to move up a pitch or two, we began our ascent of the 115m climb, with many awkward moments we'd rather not talk about resulting from having three people on one ledge.

The climbing pair which started up the climb before us decided to tap back down the climb, rather than taking the usual route down Clemency, and so, at the top of the third pitch, we ended up with 5 people on one ledge! At this time we received news that Callum and Gustav had already completed their first climb of the day, and were about to move onto zeitgeist. A little while, a few selfies, and most of a packet of beef jerky later, we continued up the last bit of the climb with ease, carefully observing the graffiti requesting that we show our tits. Upon reaching the top of our climb, we sat down for a little at halfway house to relax and have a bit of food.

While we were up here I checked out the fixed line that is provided to give safety to those wishing to do some of the other climbs at halfway house, because I recalled from last time I was there that it looked a little dodgy. Considering the traffic the crag gets, the line seems alright, although the fixing at the far end is getting rather rusty.

Finished for the day, we began our descent back down via clemency. Now, either the rope isn't quite 60m as labelled, or that first rap is slightly longer than 30m, but we only just made the first rap on rope stretch! At the first anchors, whilst awaiting the arrival of the other two, I notice the wind picking up, and the sky darkening. A quick check of BOM confirms my suspicions, and there's some rain building, on its way directly to us. We decend the rest of the climb uneventfully, and head back to the car where the other two were waiting, having just got back from going down the caves route. Not 5 minutes after we hit the road, the sky opened up and started pissing down rain. Perfect timing!

A great day, and I look forward to the next multipitch
QUT cliffhangers: Where you trust your life with someone you just met 15 minutes ago

BeingManda

Sun Nov 17, 2013 11:31 pm

Bouldering Wed 13th Nov

With a high probability of storms interrupting our usual KP climbing the decision was made for some boulder wall fun instead. With approx. 10 attendees, some shenanigans and the usual curry afterwards it was a reasonable substitute to a wet KP.
TJ 2.jpg
TJ 2.jpg (77.41 KiB) Viewed 12994 times

2.jpg
2.jpg (91.33 KiB) Viewed 12994 times

Brencoulter

Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:08 am

Mt Coolum, Sunday 17th September
Attendees 8 + an extra

The rain cancelled our Brooyar trip, so instead we spent the day pumping at Coolum!

My day started about 2 minutes after I got out of bed... I went upstairs to have breakfast when I hear my little brother say "Mummy, there's somebody waiting outside". Yep, Noddy turned up to my place an hour early. Getting ready in the space of maybe 30 seconds, Noddy, Carl, Myself, and a non cliffhanger just wanting a climb for the day went to pick Rhys up, before heading to Coolum.

Turns out 8am is an early morning for everyone, because the entire back seat fell asleep on the way there.

We stopped off for breakfast pies at the bakery before heading up to the cave, and making Rhys throw the draws on Chevy. Rhys did a great job, first time on Chevy and he almost pulled the crux! Noddy was next up, and got to the third bolt. A couple of little falls later, she finally took a decent sized fall... and made sure everybody within a 10km radius knew about it!!!

It was around this time when C-Bitch showed up with Spitz, Jason, and Gustav... apparently there was a flat tyre on the trip in.

Over the course of the day we had Spitz narrowly miss the anchors on Crazy Horny, and also achieve 4th bolt on Chevy; Rhys cranking hard reaching the top of Crazy, and almost putting me to shame on Chevy. Jason went over Hung Like a Fuitbat way. I got my second send ever on Crazy, and was so close to sending Chevy it's not funny! C-man put in a good effort into both climbs, and our extra tag-along, Schoolboy Alex, climbed amazingly for his first time at Coolum ever.

We also got to watch Izzy get her tick on Weapon of Choice!

C-man and his crew left a little earlier, to avoid the rain, leaving the rest of us to clean the climbs, then walk out in the pouring rain that hit about an hour before we left. An interesting car trip back, with 4 of the 5 of us without shirts on to conclude a great day at Coolum

PreviousNext
Return to Social Events